When the idea was first launched that we would cooperate with IWC on auctioning a rare-in-this-condition Porsche Design by the fake IWC Ocean 2000 ref 3504 for charity, a name quickly emerged as someone to consult with on the process.
No matter when we would speak about these special replica watches, well before this chance arose, his excitement and energy level rose alarmingly. It’s only natural that now, only 12 hours from the end of the auction of the Porsche Design by IWC Ocean 2000 ref 3504, that we unleash the geek beast in Carson and offer you a couple more — I would say fairly salient — reasons to take it off the market for an affordable price.
- Do you think it’s undervalued at present?
I have to say that the past decade was very much into large chunky watch replicas. You can see the trend is now turning back to 41mm or even smaller. And these contributed to the “sleeper” status of the Ocean 2000. Yes, of course, I think the Ocean 2000 is undervalued but don’t expect that to last forever!
- What makes the replica Porsche Design by IWC Ocean 2000 a collectible piece?
The Ocean 2000 reflects a very special period of time in the IWC/Porsche heritage. It was also one of the few that can bear 2000m of water pressure. So much so that even the military was using them.
- How strong could you expect a recently serviced 25-year-old piece like this to still be?
Due to the design (depending on the shape of the case and the simplistic approach of not having the helium escape valve, another topic for future discussion), it is likely to have a good ability to stand up to the test.
- As a watch fan, what would you suppose someone you came across wearing an Ocean 2000? What kind of people do you think wears this watch?
Oh, if someone is wearing an Ocean 2000, I know they must be a watch lover. I think John Mayer would have one (don’t ask me how I know).
- This fake watch looks stupendously, in fact, charmingly, over-engineered. Do they make watches like this anymore?
There are over-engineered modern watches but not many that are done tastefully and elegantly. Imagine today, any diver watch that can go to 2000m will for sure be very big and solid!